One of my go to dinner meals has always been Spaghetti Carbonara, it’s so easy and a family favorite. This is one of those dishes that comes together in 15 minutes or less, seriously!
Carbonara is an Italian pasta dish from Rome, the sauce is a very unique texture made with egg and cheese. The recipe is not fixed by a specific type of cheese so it’s one of those recipes that I adapt depending on what I have avalible in the fridge. My favorites are parmesan or cheddar.
Once you have the sauce down you can add different variations of ingredients. Most recipes call for bacon which really adds great flavor. I usually also add pees but you could use mushrooms or other vegetables and herbs as well.
See directions below:
- In a large bowl of salted water cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and shredded cheese.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes; reserve excess fat.
- Heat any additional veggies you would like to add.
- Drain pasta
- Working quickly, stir pasta and egg mixture with bacon and prepared veggies.
*Be sure to work quickly so you don’t end up with scrambled eggs!
Another note: Since I’ve been trying to cut down on my carbs (I could eat pasta for every meal!) I’ve been testing out some different pasta alternatives including zoodle’s and other vegetable based noodles. This recipe goes well with all of them!